You can’t have Christmas without Mince Pies. This recipe always goes down well with my family, at the Christmas party and as a festive snack during December. I am not yet ambitious enough to make my own mincemeat, though. Maybe next year? Here is my recipe for Mince Pies.
- 225g Flour
- 50g Icing Sugar( more if you want to dust with icing sugar).
- 125g Butter
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 4 Tbsp Mincemeat
- ½ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
*If you are making your own pastry, do that first. If you are using store bought pastry, you need to get it out the fridge 20 minutes in advance or 24 hours in advance if it is frozen.*
- To make your pastry, use a sieve and put your flour, icing sugar and cinnamon through it, onto a clean, dry surface. You need to then add the butter in cubes and use your fingers to bring the butter and dry ingredients together, they should look like a crumble mixture. After you have done this, make a well in the centre of your ‘crumble’ mixture and add the egg and milk. Combine the mixture until you have a dough, try not to knead the dough too much. Place in the fridge, in clingfilm for 30-40 minutes.
- Take ⅔ of the dough and place the other ⅓ to the side of now. Roll out the ⅔ of pastry on a floured surface until the dough it about the thickness of a 10p coin. Use a circle cookie cutter to cut out 12 circles. Dust the fairy cake tray with flour and add the circles of pastry into each hole. Use your finger to neaten up the edges of the pastry, then use a fork to pierce a hole in the bottom of each pastry circle.
- Fill each pastry circle with a teaspoon of mincemeat (homemade or store bought).
- Now, get the ⅓ pastry you had left over. Roll out the pastry the same way you did in step 2. You can use a star cookie cutter or the a circle one for this, depending on your preference. Cut out 12 stars ( I made 12 medium stars and 12 small stars and places the small stars on top of the medium stars for a prettier look).
- Place the stars on top of your mince pies and use an egg wash over the top of the mince pies, to make the mince pies golden brown and crispy, once cooked.
- Cook at gas mark 6 for 25-35 minutes, until the mince pies are golden brown. Leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
You can keep these mince pies in an airtight container for 3-5 days.